When using Apple Maps, you’ll likely often start from your home address. To identify your home address, the app uses the address entered in your personal contact card.
But what happens if you move? Though the app can detect your location, it won’t know when your home address has changed. It will continue to use your previous address as home. Therefore, you’ll need to update the details on your contact card. Keep reading to learn how to change your home address for more efficient directions in Apple Maps.
How to Change your Home Address in Apple Maps on an iPhone
You can either edit your contact card directly from Contacts or get to your contact card to make the change from the Maps app. Follow these steps to change it via Contacts:
- Open the Phone app.
- At the bottom of the screen, press Contacts.
- Tap your contact card at the top.
- Press Edit at the top-right.
- Choose Add address to enter your new details. Alternatively, press the minus – symbol beside your home address, then Delete to remove it and start over.
- Once you’re finished, select Done.
If you have Maps open, your contact card can be found this way:
- In Maps, swipe up to reveal the Favorites section, then press See All.
- Select the Info (i) icon beside Home.
- Above your address, choose Contact Card.
- Complete steps 4-6 above to edit your home address.
How to Change your Home Address in Apple Maps on an iPad
Like the iPhone, you can update your home address from the Contacts app or get to your contact card via Maps. Here are the steps to modify your home address from Contacts:
- Access the Phone app.
- Tap Contacts at the bottom of your screen.
- Select your contact card at the top.
- In the top-right, hit Edit.
- Select Add address to enter your new location. Alternatively, you can tap the minus (-) sign next to your home address and press Delete to start again.
- Press Done when you’re finished.
If you happen to be in Maps, here are the steps for locating your contact card:
- Swipe upwards to show Favorites, then hit See All.
- Press the Info (i) icon next to Home.
- Tap Contact Card above the address.
- Follow steps 4-6 to change your address.
How to Change Your Home Address in Apple Maps on a Mac
The steps to change your home address on a Mac are similar to the iPhone and iPad instructions. The simplest way is from Contacts, or you can get to your contact card through Maps. Here’s how to update your address in Contacts:
- Launch the Contacts app from the dock.
- Click on your card, then click Edit.
- Towards the bottom, select Home to add your new address.
- To save your new address, click Done.
From the Maps app, follow these steps to get to your contact card:
- At the top of Show Your Current Location, select the arrow beside the search box.
- Next to Home on the map, click the Info (i) icon.
- Above your address, choose View Contact.
- Follow the above steps 2-4 to update your home details.
How Do I Save Locations on Apple Maps?
In Maps, you can save the locations you frequently go to, like your home, workplace, friend’s house, etc., to your favorites list. Follow these steps to add a location to your favorites using your iOS device:
1. Open the Maps app.
2. Press the plus (+) under Favorites to add an address.
3. Begin typing the new address; if the complete address is provided in the list, press it. A contact card with the new address will display.
4. Check that the details are correct, then under Type, choose the location type.
5. Once you’re satisfied with the details, tap Done in the top-right corner. The new location will be added to your favorites.
How Do I Share My ETA on iPhone?
Follow these steps to share your ETA from your iOS device:
1. Open the Maps app, then choose your destination.
2. Select Directions, your traveling method, then Go.
3. Once the route has started, the Share ETA button may be available at the bottom of the screen.
4. Otherwise, press the footer displaying the arrival time, then Share ETA.
5. Next, either choose one of the contacts iOS thinks you’re most likely to want to share with or tap Contacts.
6. After you’ve selected the person you want, your ETA will be sent to them.
Moving Home on Apple Maps
Apple Maps offers easy directions and estimated arrival times for the places you need to get to. It uses the home address entered in your contact card as your home starting point. If your home address has changed, Maps is not smart enough to detect it automatically. Therefore, you can tell Maps that you’ve moved by updating the home address on your contact card.
Has Apple Maps always been spot-on with your directions? Has it ever sent you to the wrong place? Tell us about it in the comments section below.