How To Write A Perfect SIWES Report
Writing a perfect SIWES report has been the challenges student face, lot of student google search various queries like How to write a SIWES report , SIWES report format , SIWES report table of content , etc.
In todays article Educatefor will give your the proper guide on writing a perfect siwes report.
Regardless of your course of study, this article will act as a guide to help you write your SIWES report in a proper and well presentable way.
Without further ado, let’s proceed…
How To Write A Good SIWES Reports
We will provide you with a thorough explanation of how to construct a SIWES report that is both understandable and professional-looking. Regardless of your field of study, we will demonstrate the proper format for writing a SIWES report to you as well as the components of a SIWES report.
Format To Write A Good SIWES Report
The format you should use is as follows. Recall that the SIWES report is always typed using Microsoft Word:
- Paper – A4 sized white paper
- Font – Times New Roman
- Line Spacing- 2.0
- Font size – 12
- Alignment – Justified
Parts Of The SIWES Report
The SIWES report is divided into three main parts and they are:
- Preliminary pages
- Report body
The Preliminary pages
The preliminary pages contain:
- The title page
- Table of contents
Note: It should be formatted as we’ve highlighted it, with Roman numeral page numbers at the bottom of each page.
Let’s discuss each of these pages briefly:
Ø The Title Page
This is a brief introduction and it shows the purpose of the report. The font size for this page should be 14 and it should be in bold capital letters.
The page carries the following information:
- Your full name
- I.T company name and address
- Matriculation or Reg. No.
- Department, Faculty and School
- Date (this includes the month and year you are to submit your SIWES report to your department or it can be the duration of your industrial training).
This page is for appreciation and here, you thank your creator (GOD), parents, guardians, sponsors, etc.
In this page, you have to show gratitude to people that contributed to your training and its success.
Ø Table of Contents
This page displays how your SIWES report’s pages are organized and break down each piece of information.
The table of contents makes it simple for the reader to locate specific information in your SIWES report on the appropriate pages without having to read the full report.
This is the summary of your report but it is found in the preliminary page of your report.
Here, you don’t give paragraphs when writing the abstract and it should be half the length of the page you writing on.
This part of the SIWES report is usually divided into four (4) chapters but in some cases, it could be up to five.
One thing you should know is that your report should be brief, clear and easy to understand even if you have a lot to write.
Try to avoid unnecessary mistakes especially in your use of grammar and make sure your report has content and quality.
The content of your SIWES report depends on the firm you worked with and the activities you carried out during your industrial training.
Ø Chapter One
This chapter talks about the following:
- Scope, Aim and objectives of SIWES
- History and background of the company you worked for
- The company’s objectives, mission and vision statements, their products or services.
- Departments and sections in the company
- Organizational chart and structure of company (a diagram showing the positions of workers in the firm and also the flow of power in the firm from the top to the bottom).
Ø Chapter Two
In this chapter, you will write on:
- The unit/section or department in the company that you worked in and the major activity you carried out in the company.
- The safety precautions and regulations of the company
- The equipment, machines, devices and tools that are used in the company or the unit you worked in.
Ø Chapter Three
This chapter explains the activities that you carried out during your industrial training period and how you carried out these activities.
In this chapter, you can include images of the equipment, machines and materials used in the unit of the organization you worked for and the images should be in black and white colour but the images should not be much.
Ø Chapter Four
This chapter includes:
- The summary of your activities during your industrial training program
- The challenges and setbacks you encountered during the training.
- Your proposed solutions and recommendation towards the improvement of industrial training generally.
This is at the end of your SIWES report and is very important because you cannot write your SIWES report without consulting a textbook, material at your workplace, or even the internet, so you must reference every source you used.
The American Psychological Association (APA) referencing style is recommended for the SIWES report.
The references should be listed alphabetically.
What is SIWES
SIWES is the acronym for Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) and it is a very important aspect of the student’s training program in the tertiary institutions.
The experience does involve three to six months or sometimes twelve months where the students undergo training in an industry related to their course of study or career.
It was established in 1973 by the Industrial Training Fund (ITF).
What Is A SIWES Report?
This is an industrial training or internship report that documents all the activities, projects, jobs and experiences gained at the place where students carried out their industrial training.
The SIWES report shows the level of development of practical and professional skills that a student has acquired in the course of industrial training.
The report is to be typed using Microsoft word, printed, bound and then submitted to the supervisor or SIWES coordinator in the department at the end if the training for presentation and grading.
Your SIWES report should be well detailed and explain all the activities that you performed during your industrial training.
When writing your report, it should be very clear and easy to understand so that anybody reading your report will understand the activities of the firm or organization you worked with.
Your SIWES report should be free from grammatical blunders and mistakes.
What Are The Aims And Objectives Of SIWES?
Here, we will be talking about the aims the SIWES was established and what the students are expected to get from the SIWES program.
- Its aim is to provide students with an opportunity to apply the theory in a real work solution and in this case, they bridge the gap between knowledge gotten from school and the actual work experience.
- It helps to expose students to techniques and methods of handling certain equipment they might come across in their profession.
- It make the transition from the university to the world of work and helps students network for better job placement
- It allows university students to acquire industrial training skills and experience in their study program.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many pages should the SIWES report be?
Well the thing is that there is no exact number of pages for the SIWES report but your report should not be less than 20 pages so it could range from 20-70 pages depending on the details of your report. But make sure every content of your report is easy to read and understand.
What is a SIWES Letter?
This is also known as industrial training application letter and it is a formal letter that is written by students and sent to their desired course-related firms with the aim of undergoing their industrial training for a given period of time in the firms.
You must have grasped how to produce a SIWES report that is simple to read and understand from what we have said so far. You must ensure that you write the report carefully and that you are adequately prepared to defend what you have written because both your representation and the SIWES report will be marked.
I wish you luck as you complete your industrial training.